- One of only 6 states in America where teachers do not have the right to collectively bargain.
- One of only 3 states in America where there are no tenure protections for experienced teachers. Every teacher in Wisconsin is now a probationary teacher for their entire career and can be fired without cause or reason.
- The ONLY state in America where all teachers have no tenure protections AND do not have the right to collectively bargain.
The toxic combination of no state tenure protections and being stripped of the right to collectively bargain has resulted in:
- Thousands of experienced teachers being laid off, non-renewed, or terminated without recourse. In addition to creating a separate but unequal state-wide voucher school program, Scott Walker has cut over 3 BILLION dollars in funding to Wisconsin's public schools. As a candidate for President, Walker bragged that his laws encouraged Wisconsin school districts to fire their best and most experienced teachers.
- Wisconsin ACT scores are FALLING as thousands of experienced teachers who have been non-renewed and terminated since Act 10 are replaced by inexperienced teachers and often uncertified teachers. Faced with increasingly severe shortages of physics, mathematics, computer science, technical education, and special education teachers, Govenor Walker & Republican legislators are working to lower teacher licensing requirements to allow anyone with a high school diploma to teach any grade or subject in Wisconsin's public schools.
- Gutting of 50 years of improvements to compensation, benefits, and workload gained through collective bargaining. Many school districts have eliminated salary schedules and benefits negotiated in good faith prior to Act 10. Teachers in Post Act 10 Walker's Wisconsin are experiencing working conditions that most states left behind in the 1930's.
- Teachers with decades of excellent service have been non-renewed or fired based on ONE parent complaint. In Walker's Wisconsin, there are many instances where even one parent allegation or complaint has resulted in a teacher being suspended and fired.I
- Over 3 BILLION DOLLARS in cuts to public education plus hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars flowing to a separate but unequal voucher schools has resulted in horrendous conditions in Wisconsin's crippled public schools. Class sizes of 30, 40, or more students, elimination of gifted and talented programs, giant special education caseloads, no personal attention for struggling students are commonplace in school districts across Walker's Wisconsin.
We created this website to tell the stories of Post Act 10 Walker's Wisconsin. Our goal is to collect key information about every school district in Post Act 10 Walker's Wisconsin and present the information in a logical, factual manner.
Thousands of great teachers have already fled the cesspool of hatred that Walker's Wisconsin has become since 2011. Many are now happily teaching in states across America. Others have abandoned the teaching profession altogether. We think it is a shame when great teachers leave the classroom-America's children NEED great teachers. America NEEDS great teachers.
Teachers need to realize that Walker's Wisconsin is the ONLY state in America where teachers are treated with such a high level of disrespect. States across America are welcoming former Wisconsin teachers who are leaving to escape the hatred of Walker's Wisconsin.
Whether teachers choose to stay in Wisconsin and look for a school district that still values and respect great teachers (there ARE some left) or are considering leaving Walker's Wisconsin for better teaching career opportunities, we hope you will find the information on this website useful to you.
No doubt about it, being a teacher is an AWESOME career.
Best wishes for a successful teaching career and life, no matter where you live.